There are many dangers in the comfort zone of our lives, many of which we are unaware of. The thought of ease and safety may not be true.
Maintaining our current ways of thinking and doing things is so easy as this seems to protect us from much pain and discomfort we may have previously experienced. But over the same time, we discover many missed opportunities to grow and excel, and suddenly we are aware that this zone is not all that comfortable at all.
Becoming Aware of the Dangers in the Comfort Zone
Awareness is the key. Otherwise, we run our lives through default patterns that we developed over the years as a result of experiencing some trauma or pain. In the areas of our lives that are working well these patterns are based on helpful beliefs, but in areas of lack and discomfort, we have some underlying beliefs that limit our ability to excel.
According to cognitive scientists and psychologists, there is something called “confirmation bias” where we manipulate reality unconsciously by paying attention to certain facts while ignoring others that do not fit our preconceived idea of reality. People who don’t fit the mold are considered outcasts.
This is precisely how we keep ourselves trapped within a comfort zone that is not so comfortable after all.
It is ironic that so few recognize that when one’s life encounters turbulence, choppy waters, or setbacks, it’s always a sign that things are about to get wildly better than they’ve ever been before. Instead of protecting ourselves within the confines of our comfort zone, it is much better to explore its outer limits and experience a new-found freedom
This becomes much more palatable when we realize this can be attained one baby step at a time starting now. Then when we gain momentum we will willingly increase our steps and we will be eager to progress faster.
The key here is not to force it or we will quit before we even start/
Let’s list here a few of the dangers of settling for less and remaining in our comfort zones.
- many missed opportunities by not taking risks and trying new things
- lack of growth and expansion by not building the resilience needed to handle challenging situations
- living within a bubble of illusion
- trading fulfillment for safety
- not recognizing and pursuing our heartfelt desires
- cheating ourselves and others out of the unique gifts we have to offer
- stagnating by not learning new skills and embracing new challenges
- reducing our creativity by not being willing to explore and experiment with innovative ideas
- less motivated and inspired to be productive
- limited perspective due to less exposure to new and innovative ideas
- more complacent about current circumstances even when not satisfied
- less independent in thinking and more reliant on outside influences
- fear of making constructive changes
Positively Addressing the Dangers In The Comfort Zone
In order to break free from the many restrictions of our comfort zone it is necessary to accept the pros and cons of our comfort zone and decide to make constructive change. This is really only a decision away.
Our increased awareness will lead the way after we have taken a few steps in the new direction. We will be inspired to make positive changes in our lives when we really see that we have settled for “ordinary”.
This would never have occurred when we were a child and full of awe and passion for discovery. We would never have compromised our dreams.
Without awareness, we are imprisoned by our thoughts. The stories that we tell ourselves are responsible for what we see, and those stories are based on past experiences.
Although our power exists in the present moment, we allow our past to create our future by overlooking the present. It’s time to rediscover our innocence and joy.
We do this by breaking free from our conditioned ways of doing things one small step at a time.
- obtain clarity on the current situation and feelings of dissatisfaction
- identify current thoughts, feelings, and beliefs that are generating this dissatisfaction
- set a few realistic goals based on a heartfelt desire
- change up the daily routine
- select a new activity to do this week
- call a friend who hasn’t been contacted in a while
- try a new recipe or order something different on the menu
- take a new route to work or any other usual destination
- clean the house and get rid of some of the clutter (this physical act will remove some clutter from our minds as well)
- take a walk out in nature
- learn a new skill or take up a new hobby
- do something that has been put off
- be open to support from friends and family or even a professional if necessary
- take care of ourselves with a healthy diet, enough rest and sleep, some exercise, and taking breaks as needed during the day
- keep a positive frame of mind during the ups and downs of this process
Transforming the Dangers in the Comfort Zone
“Try new things, step out of your comfort zone, take risks, do things in ways you’ve never done them before, ask for help, surround yourself with self-actualized people, become obsessed with the fact that you have one go-round on this planet as the you that is you, and realize how precious and important it is not to squander that.”
All these challenges can be used to our advantage to grow and expand and make a positive difference in our lives and in the lives of others. Let’s become the light within the shadows and transform each issue into a positive benefit.
It all depends on our willingness to make the decision to break out of our state of inertia and take that first small step to a much freer, creative, and expanding life. The fear is in the story we tell ourselves so it would be prudent to tell ourselves another story.
This not only leads to breaking out of our inertia but it proves that we have to power to direct our lives. We then realize there is no reason to “stay put” in any undesirable situation.
What seemed impossible suddenly becomes a transformative journey to a brand new life. Our thoughts and emotions had created an illusion of quicksand that has kept us trapped.
Getting stuff done is only a decision away. It’s time to release our power in ways that get us going in the direction we desire instead of misusing this power to keep ourselves in a self-made illusionary prison.
I encourage us all the live the truth of our magnificence and not the lies of our weakness.
In Peace & Love within the Light,
P.S. Let’s break free and share our New Found Freedom in an Online Business that inspires others with our Unique Brand of Genius. CLICK for all the Details.